Edinburgh: St Cuthbert's Parish Church of Scotland: War Memorial Chapel

Postcard of Edinburgh: St Cuthbert's Parish Church of Scotland: War Memorial Chapel. Click to view full image (new window)
000-000-773-050-C No Internet use

Scenes from the Life of St. Cuthbert

Window of one curve headed light.

This window consists of four painted panes of glass in the shape of a cross set in a quarry window. These panels depict three scenes, the first being the body of the cross which depicts St. Cuthbert with an otter at his feet, holding his Crozier in his left hand, in his right arm is set the head of St Oswald. The left transverse depicts St. Cuthbert in charge of his flock and the right transverse depicting the landing on Holy Island.

‘Saint Cuthbert’

Douglas Strachan (1875-1950) was born in Aberdeen and educated at Robert Gordon’s College. Strachan took evening classes at Gray’s School of Art. He worked as an apprentice lithographer, a muralist, a portrait painter and then found his passion for Stained Glass as he worked on a commission in the early 20th century. Strachan’s first major design was for the Peace Palace in The Hague installed in 1929. He worked on many memorial windows, including the renowned designs for the Scottish National War Memorial at Edinburgh Castle, from 1923-1927.


Related Records:  
Who: Douglas Strachan (Artist/Designer)
Where: 5 Lothian Road, Edinburgh, EH1 2EP
When: (installed)
Jul-12 (photograph taken)
Resource Rights Holder: Scottish Stained Glass Trust and Symposium
Record ID: 000-000-773-050-C
Project Ref:  
Material: Glass, Lead, Paint, Stain
Subject/Keywords: St. Cuthbert, otter, St. Oswald, Holy Island, sheep, landscape, cross, quarry
Photographer: Elisa Conesa Martinez