Edinburgh: City Chambers, Coffee room

Postcard of Edinburgh: City Chambers, Coffee room. Click to view full image (new window)
000-000-774-002-C No Internet use

Coat of Arms: Canongate

Window of one rectangular light.

This window depicts the Coat of Arms of the Canongate set in a rectangular quarry light. This is one of seven coats of arms depicted, which were under their own administration as autonomous burghs until their incorporation into the current city of Edinburgh.

‘Sic itur ad Astra’ (translation: ‘Thus one journeys to the stars/This is the path to heaven’)

Chilton & Kemp
Margaret Chilton: (1875-1963) was born in Bristol. She trained at the Royal College of Art with Christoper Whall and Alfred Drury. She moved to Glasgow in 1918 as designer at the Abbey Studio.
Marjorie Kemp: (1885-1975) was born in Blairgowrie. She trained at the Glasgow School of Art.
In 1922, Chilton & Kemp set up a partnership which lasted from 1922-1963 until Chilton’s death. Their studio was based in Edinburgh. (RM 2010)


Related Records:  
Who: Margaret Chilton and Marjorie Kemp (Firm/Company)
Where: High Street, Edinburgh, EH1 1RE
When: 1932 (installed)
Jul-12 (photograph taken)
Resource Rights Holder: Scottish Stained Glass Trust and Symposium
Record ID: 000-000-774-002-C
Project Ref:  
Material: Glass, Lead, Paint, Stain
Subject/Keywords: coat of arms, Canongate, Stag, white hart, cross, golden, sword, palm, scales, GSA, RCA
Photographer: Elisa Conesa Martinez